Sights in Wittelsbacher countryside

Wittelsbacher/Water Castle
Sisi-Castle Aichach-Unterwittelsbach
In 1838 Duke Max of Bavaria acquired the Water Castle in Unterwittelsbach. His daughter, Sisi, was later the Habsburg Empress of Austria and Queen of Hungary. The “Sisi Castle” is one of the destination along the international “Sisi Road”. Every year the Water Castle features exhibits about the life of the beautiful Elisabeth from Wittelsbach
Fortress hill and national monument Aichach-Oberwittelsbach
On the castle hill in Oberwittelsbach once stood a castle after which the counts of Scheyern named themselves since 1120. The gothic church of pilgrimage was built on the site of the ancestral castle of the Wittelsbach family which was destroyed after the murder of a King in 1209. On the castle square there are remains of the fortress Walls and the Wittelsbach National Monument, a neo-gothic tower put up in 1834.
Old City Aichach
The town square is the historical center of the ancient Bavarian duchy of Aichach, first mentioned in 1120. The main street stretches between two Gothic city gates, the upper and lower Gates. The focal point of the old town is the baroque town hall. Also worth seeing are the parish church of the Assumption and the Spital church of the Holy Ghost.
Old town and Friedberg Castle
Ludwig II. “the severe” began contruction of the Wittelsbach castle in 1257. The Bavarian Duke founded the city in 1264. The old town has retained it’s rectangular “Wittelsbachian” streets. The Renaissance style castle, the baroque town hall as well as the fortification relics and three churches of pilgrimage are worth seeing.
Baroque/Sacred Art
Pilgrimage Church of Our Lord’s Rest Friedberg
The building of the Baroque Church of Our Lord’s Rest was built in 1731. The interior is decorated with frescoes by Tomas Damian Adam and Matthaus Günther as well as the stucco by Franz Xaver, Johann Michael and Simpert Feichtmayr. One of the most beautiful creations of the Bavarian Baroque, this pilgrimage church is named after the carved shrine of the Pensive Christ.
Baroque/Sacred Art
Pilgrimage Church Maria Kappel Schmiechen
The original gothic Church Maria Kappel was rebuilt in the 18th century. The interior was design was completed in 1756 by the stucco work of Franz Xaver Schmuzer and the frescoes of Martin Kuhn in the Rococo style. The church also houses a crypt chapel and some epitaphs of the Fuggers. The Fugger coat of arms can be seen at the chancel arch.
Baroque/Sacred Art
Pilgimage Church Maria Birnbaum Sielenbach
A picture of Mary, which marauding Swedes destroyed in 1632 and was thrown away, was found by a village shepherd who placed it in a hollow pear tree. This picture of “Our Lady in the Pear Tree” justified a pilgrimage church Maria Birnbaum which was built in Sielenbach from 1661 to 1668. It is one of the most original creations of Bavarian Baroque. Some remains of the pear tree can be seen on the high altar.
Following the paths of the Empress and Queen Elisabeth