Sights in Augsburg Inner City

Renaissance/Interior Design Artworks
City Hall/Golden Hall
The city hall is one of the major attractions in Augsburg. The city architect, Elias Holl, built the most significant secular structure of the German Renaissance between 1615 and 1620. The Golden Hall, named after its golden guilded wooden ceiling, was finished in 1624. It is one of the most imposing archetypical Wrooms in Germany and demonstrates the grandeur of the Imperial City.
Marionette Theater/Museum
Holy-Ghost-Hospital/Puppet theater
In 1623 city architect Elias Holl began work on the hospital building The Hospice of the Holy Spirit. This Renaissance style structure is home to the Augsburg Puppet Theater, where fairy tales, plays and cabaret adaptations have been performed since 1948. The Puppet Theater Museum displays its most famous characters and also offers English language tours.
Social settlement/Museums
Fuggerei
In 1521 Jakob Fugger founded the oldest still existing social settlement in the world. The 140 flats are home to 150 catholic Augsburg citizens. The residents still pay a rent of 88 cents a year for 60 square meter flats. They are also committed to pray three daily prayers for the founder and his family. The Fuggerei Museum and the WWII bomb shelter which explain the history of the Fuggerei housing settlement.
Romanesque/Gothic
Cathedral of St. Mary
The Ottonic cathedral was built around 1000 CE on top of a Carolingian structure from which the crypt is preserved. Five Romanesque stained glass “prophets windows” from 1065 are the oldest figurative stained glass cycle in the world. In the 14th and 15th centuries a Gothic chancel and two important figural portals were added to the church. The cathedral contains hundreds of artisically crafted tombstones from 1285.
Rococo/Museum
Schaezler Palace
A silver trader had the Schaezler Palace built in 1770. The ball room of the Rococo palace was christened in the company of Marie Antoinette, the then future Queen of France. The Art Collections and Museums of Augsburg exhibit Baroque art, including works by Rubens and Tiepolo. Annexed to the real of the palace is the State Gallery in St. Catherine’s Church (works from Dürer, Holbein d.A,Burgkmair d.A.)
Architecture/Museums
Water Works at the Red Gate
The waterworks at the Red Gate is an ensemble of three water towers, two fountain master houses and an aqueduct which had its beginnings in 1416. The waterworks were in operation until 1879. The exhibition in the small and large water towers and in the fountain master’s house describes the system of water wheel powered piston pumps which were used. The Swabian Craftsmen Museum is in the lower fountain master’s house.
Fountain Art/Mannerism
Monumental Fountain
Augustus fountain is a work by Hubert Gerhard. The bronze sculpture of the Augsburg’s founder has been standing on the city hall square since 1594. The figures of the rivers Lech, Wertach, SIngold and Brunnenbach are sitting at the edge of the pool. Adriaen de Vries was the sculptor commissioned to create the bronze figures for the Mercury fountain on Moritzplatz (since 1599) and on Hercules fountain 1600.
Reformation/Renaissance
St. Anne’s/Fugger Chapel
St. Anne’s was founded as a Carmelite monastery in 1321. The church’s baroque sanctuary was completed in 1749. It contains the Gold Smith’s chapel and the Fugger Mausoleum, Bavaria’s first Renaissance structure and Jakob Fugger’s burial place. In 1518 Martin Luther stayed at the monastery and his famous portrait by Lucas Cranach is shown. The Luther Steps museum outlines the history of the Reformation in Augsburg.
Gothic/Baroque
Church of St. Ulrich
The late gothic Benedictine monastery church of St. Ulrich and Afra was built between 1474 and 1604. The Basilica was endowed with 5 Fugger Mausoleums and the Fugger organ. The connecting “Sermon Hall” building became the Lutheran St. Ulrich’s Church in 1710, one of the two dual denominational churches in Augsburg.
Renaissance/Ancient World
Armory/Roman camp
City architect Elias Holl built a Renaissance style weapons arsenal onto the grain storage hall for the imperial city in 1607. The imposing bronze figures “War in Heaven” by Hans Reichle tower over the portal of the east entrance. Inside there is a permanent exhibition “Roman Camp” in the Tuscan pillared hall, which shows outstanding artifacts of the provincial capital Roman city, Augusta Vindelicum.
Renaissance/Architecture
Perlach Tower/St Peter’s church
*observation deck is closed at this time* The tower was heightened between 1614 and 1616 by Elias Holl in Renaissance style. The observation platform has an elevation of 70 meters and allows for a view of the Alps. The Perlach tower is the bell tower in the core of the romanesque St. Peter’s church. Inside the church: the romanesque Christ the Saviour, the Fugger cross, and the painting of Mary Untier of Knots.
Rococo/Reformation
Fronhof/Mozart monument
Adjacent to the Cathedral on Fronhof a plaque on the facade of the Bishop’s residence commemorates the Augsburg Confession where it was read in 1530. In the Fronhof park, which was once a place for tournaments, there are two modern monuments to the Mozarts, Leopold Mozart, who was born in Augsburg in 1719 and his son Wolfgang Amade.
Baroque/Music
Mozarthaus
Since October 1, 2018 the Mozarthaus museum has been closed for renovations. It will Reepen in the Fall of 2019 with a newly conceived exhibition. The life of Mozart’s father Leopold with interactive elements and music mediation will take center stage - right in time for his 300th birthday.
Renaissance/Museum
Maximilian Museum
In two patrician palace the Maximilian museum presents the cultural history of the city with Augsburg’s silver, sculpture, scientific instruments, clocks, porcelain, and pottery as well as the city historical collection. The monumental original bronzes of Augustus, Mercury and Hercules fountains are displayed In the glass covered Viermetzhof courtyard. The museum’s collection of models is unparalleled worldwide.
Architecture/Sacred Art
St. Moritz
St. Moritz church is one of the oldest congregations in Augsburg. Due to Jakob Fugger’s endowment, the church has been closely associated with the Fugger family since 1517. The sculpture by Georg Petel in the east chancel was also endowed by the Fuggers. Between 2010-2013 he inside of the church was completely redesigned and rebuilt into a bright jewel of sacred architecture by the star London architect John Pawson.
Architecture/Museum
Synagogue/Jewish Cultural Museum
From 1913 to 1917 the architects Loempel and Landauer erected the Augsburg Synogogue. The stylistically eclectic structure is one of the most significant of its kind in Europe. Due to the arsen induced fire in 1938, there was a lengthy post war restoration of the synogogue completed in 1985 named Jewish Cultural Museum of Augsburg-Swabia. The museum documents the history of the Jewish communities in Bavarian Swabia.
Renaissance/Architecture
Fugger City Palace
Jakob Fugger “the Rich” and his descendants built the Fugger City Palace beginning in 1512. The Italian style Lady’s Courtyard was erected in 1515. The Fugger’s guests included the Emperor Charles V and other Habsburgs. In 1518 Luther was interrogated by Cardinal Cajetan. The Swedish king Gustav II. Adolf resided in 1632 and Mozart gave a concert in 1777. The Badstuben rooms exemplify the style of italian mannerism.
Literature/Museum
Brechthaus
Bertolt Brecht, creator of the “Three Penny Opera” and “Mother Courage and her Children” was born in the Brechthaus in 1898. The commemorative plaque on the facade of the craftman’s house “Auf dem Rain 7” in the Lech quarter is a reminder of the city’s famous son. The museum’s permanent exhibition documents his formative years in Augsburg, his life and his work.
Renaissance/Museum
Fugger and Welser Museum
The Wiesel House, named after an important German optician who lived there, is one of the last preserved Renaissance style residential houses left in Augsburg. Inside this monument the “Fugger and Welser Museum” tells the stories of wealthy trading families in the golden Augsburg of the Renaissance and their trading networks - and compares business of the past and the present.
Renaissance/Architecture
Stadtmetzg
The butchers trade guild hall housed a market for the sale of meat. The Renaissance style structure was designed and built by city architect Elias Holl between 1606 and 1609. The stone bovine skulls on the facade are reminders of the former purpose of the building. Facing the three story gabled roof house faces St. George Fountain. This figure was cast in 1565 by an unknown artist and it originally adernde a facade.