House where Bert Brecht was born in 1898. A typical craftsman’s house located on a canal of the river Lech. Today it harbors the Bert Brecht Memorial.
The Diözesanmuseum, diocesan museum, (right next to the Cathedral) exhibits a vast number of art treasures including, for example, the bronze doors of the Augsburg cathedral from the 11th century and paintings and sculptures of the late Middle Ages.
The Fuggerei museum displays the lifestyle of earlier times in three rooms found in the only apartment of the Fuggerei which has been preserved in its original condition. In 2006 a modern didactic area of the museum was newly opened where the story of the Fuggers and the Fuggerei is documented on film, with text and picture boards as well as with exhibits. Signs on a number of the Fuggerei houses point out building information and historic details.
The “Glas-Palace,” an industrial monument, made of iron, concrete and glass, now accommodates the art museum “Walter” with more than 600 exhibits of modern art. Further exhibits can be found at the H2 Centre for Contemporary Arts and the State Gallery of Modern Art.
The museum of the MAN Group in Augsburg displays many original exhibitions, including the world's first Diesel engine, models, many pictures as well as information panels.
Patrician house, built in 1546. The painting of the facade was reconstructed according to old patterns. The museum presents interesting evidence of town history as well as a large exhibition of goldsmiths’ work and silverwork of famous Augsburg masters. Courtyard with café.
The house in which Leopold Mozart, the father of Wolfgang Amadé Mozart was born, is a house of the bourgeoisie of the 16th and 17th centuries. Today it is a Mozart memorial with a permanent exhibition and interesting changing exhibits (documents from the time of Mozart in Augsburg, on Leopold and Wolfgang Amadé and a Stein pianoforte).
Two-nave hall church of the former St. Magdalene monastery. Features a multitude of prehistoric exhibits and interesting finds from the Roman Empire.
City residence of the banker Liebert von Liebenhofen with a richly furnished rococo banqueting hall (1765-1770), today Germany’s most important baroque gallery. Entrance to the State Gallery of Bavaria with paintings by the Old Masters such as Duerer, Holbein and Cranach.
State Museum of Textiles and Textile Industry (tim): In one of Bavaria’s first factories, “tim” documents the once European-wide significance of the industrial city of Augsburg using machines, samples and a “catwalk of fashion history.” One hundred years ago approximately 30,000 people worked in the spinning mills, weaving mills and dye works of this German “Manchester.”
This gallery, which was founded in 1806 and arranged in the Katharinenkirche in 1835, is the oldest branch gallery of the Bayerische Staatsgemäldesammlungen. The collection includes paintings from the Augsburg and Swabian schools dating from the Middle Ages and Early Renaissance, the golden age of painting in and around Augsburg. Numerous works of the collection were commissioned by patrician families for churches and monasteries in the old free city, including works completed for the Katharinenkloster. At the heart of the collection is the portrait of Jacob Fugger, as well as a series of paintings of seven Roman basilicas by H. Holbein the Elder, H. Burgkmair and the monogrammist L.F. The State Gallery is located in the former church of St. Catherine in Augsburg, the entrance is in the Schaezler Palace.
Shortly after World War II began, an air-raid shelter was erected in the Fuggerei. Here a permanent exhibition entitled “The Fuggerei in WWII – Destruction and Reconstruction” shows the fate of the Fuggerei and its residents during the time of National Socialism and in the phase of post-war reconstruction. Texts and photographs, film and sound as well as exhibits all document the bombing of Augsburg during WWII plus the reconstruction of both the Fuggerei and the city of Augsburg.